Title: Intellicon-2 ISA Two Port Serial I/O 32k Option
Keywords: Intellicon ISA two Port Serial I/O 32k Failed Memory U12 Conflicts RAM
Date: March 13, 1997
Author: Technical Support
The standard RAM size for the Connect Tech Inc Intellicon series of products is 64k of RAM. However Intellicon-2 cards shipped prior to 1991 were shipped with only 32k (kilo Bytes) of RAM. This was due to the fact that Static RAM was expensive and difficult to find, also the Intellicon-2 did not require the full 64k of buffering. Today all Intellicon-2 serial cards are shipped with 64k RAM.
If you have an Intellicon-2 serial adapter and you are in doubt as to how much RAM is does have or you are encountering memory problems simply look at the chip locations U13 and U12 (they can be found in the upper left hand corner of the board). These chips are 32k x 8 RAM chips. For the 64k model both locations will be populated.
For the 32k model only location U12 will be present, and location U13 will be empty.
The part numbers for the Intellicon-2 models are:
- IAT02032XX (32k model, RS-232)
- I4802032XX (32k model, RS-485)
- IAT02064XX (64k model, RS-232)
- I4802064XX (64k model, RS-485)
All other Intellicon products including the Intellicon-4, Intellicon-8 and Intellicon-Flex-8 were always shipped with 64k of RAM.
Possible Memory Verify errors or problems with Dev.cti (QNX4 driver) and the 32k Intellicon-2.
* Some Connect Tech serial drivers perform a standard Memory test before the driver boots. Success or failure of the test will determine if the driver will boot up. One such driver that does a memory test is the QNX4.2x drivers Dev.cti and Dev32.cti. By default the QNX4 drivers do a 64k memory test. If this memory test is performed on a 32k model of the Intellicon, this error message will be displayed by the Dev.cti driver.
Intellicon Memory Test failed at 000d8000(hex) on board using I/O Port 0300(hex)
Check for Memory Conflicts
Contents of this address are:
|——————- H E X ———————|— A S C I I —-|
FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF * ……………. *
Dev.cti: Unable to start admin.
* The memory location 00d8000 is where the next 32k of RAM would have started, if it were present.
* Solution: To start the Dev.cti driver with a 32k Intellicon use the Dev.cti -t switch, to indicate how much RAM to test. Example:
Dev.cti 300,10 -a d0000 -t 32 &
This will perform a 32k memory test on the Intellicon from address d0000 -> d7fff.
End of KDB-171